La Specola Museum of Natural HIstory Florence
Museums & Churches

Museo della Specola

The Museo della Specola is one of the sections of the bigger natural history museum of the University of Florence and is actually the heir to the oldest scientific museum in Europe. This museum is famous because it has the largest collection of eighteenth-century anatomical waxes; it also has a unique collection of Sicilian ceroplast Gaetano Giulio Zumbo which dates back to the 1650’s. The fantastic part about the museum
Fodazione Salvatore Romano PIazza Santo Spirito
Museums & Churches

Fondazione Salvatore Romano

The museum houses the private art collection of Salvatore Romano, which he donated to the City of Florence in 1946. Before his death in 1955, Romano personally set up the museum, carefully choosing the artworks and artefacts, where and how they were to be displayed. The museum is housed in the refectory of the convent erected by Augustinian hermet friars next to Santo Spirito Church. Decorated in 14th century gothic
Santissima Annunziata Chiesa Florence Firenze
Museums & Churches

Church of Santissima Annunziata

The Basilica di Santissima Annunziata is a Renaissance style, Roman Catholic church. It is considered the mother church of the Servite Order, and was founded in 1250 by their seven original members. In 1252 the Servite monks commissioned Frair Bartolomeo to paint the Annunciation. Legend has it that Bartolomeo agonized over his ability to adequately capture the beauty of the virgin's face. Having completed the rest of the painting, he
San Salvatore Church of Ognissanti Florence
Museums & Churches

The Church of Saint Salvatore of Ognissanti

The Chiesa di Ognissanti, the “Church of All Saints”, is a Franciscan church located in Piazza di Ognissanti. The church was founded by the order of the Umiliati and was dedicated to all saints and martyrs. The building was originally completed in the 1250’s but was almost completely rebuilt in 1627 by architect Bartolomeo Pettirossi in a Baroque style. A decade later, a new façade was designed and constructed using
Chiesa Santa Trinita Via Tornabuoni Florence Ghirlandaio
Museums & Churches

Santa Trinita Church

The Basilica di Santa Trinita is a Roman Catholic church which is located (surprisingly!) in Piazza Santa Trinita, just a few steps away from the bridge over the Arno River of the same name. The church was constructed in place of a pre-existing church from the 11th century. Although multiple reconstructions occurred over the centuries, the main construction took from 1258 to 1280. Originally, the church was designed in a
Church Santo Spirito Florence
Museums & Churches

Santo Spirito Church

The Basilica di Santo Spirito is one of the most predominant examples of Early Renaissance architecture in Florence. Located in the Oltrarno quarter, meaning beyond the Arno, its bare facade and interesting shape is one of the unmistakable images of the neighborhood. The current church was commissioned as a gift from the Signoria of Florence to replace an existing Augustinian church and convent. The design of the Basilica is the
Chiesa di San Lorenzo Florence Central Market
Museums & Churches

San Lorenzo Church

The Basilica di San Lorenzo is one of the largest and oldest churches in Florence. The original church actually stood outside the Florence city walls when it was consecrated in 393. Today, San Lorenzo is very much embeded in the center of the city, located in the main market district. San Lorenzo was the city’s cathedral for three hundred years and the parish church of the Medici family. The ajoining
Museo Del Duomo Cupola Bell Tower Dome Florence
Museums & Churches

Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore or The Duomo

The Duomo di Firenze was designed in the Gothic style by Arnolfo di Cambio, and began construction in 1296. The famous dome was designed by Filippo Brunelleschi, and is the largest brick dome ever constructed. After Di Cambio died in 1310, construction slowed down until 1334 when Giotto was appointed to finish his work. Before his death in 1337, Giotto was able to complete the campanile. Work resumed in 1349
Brancacci Chapel Piazza del Carmine Florence
Museums & Churches

Cappella Brancacci

Construction of the Santa Maria del Carmine church began in 1268 with the financial help of the Comune of Florence and its wealthiest families. It was finally completed in 1475, although the west facade of the church was in fact never finished. In 1771, a devastating fire broke out and destroyed most of the church. They say it was a miracle that the Brancacci chapel was spared. It is not the
Forte di Belvedere Florence
Museums & Churches

Forte di Belvedere

The Forte Belvedere was commissioned by the Grand Duke Ferninand I and realized by Bernardo Buontalenti over a five year period from 1590 to 1595. Although fortifications serve to protect a city, it was also a demonstration of Florence's wealth and capabilities and a testement to the power and prestige of the Medici Family. The location was not just selected for its vantage point over the city but because Ferdinand